Re: are there any CC st. pete's n the way?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on June 13, 2002 at 12:03:44:

In Reply to: are there any CC st. pete's n the way? posted by camilo on June 13, 2002 at 10:09:00:

I've briefly played both of the prototypes. The first one (about 6 months ago) was a real turd. No redeeming qualities. The second prototype I played was at ITEC, and was a far superior instrument. It's a smallish CC. It might work OK to get someone through undergrad IF they iron out the remaining intonation and response issues. Just be careful trying to use it in a college orchestra or band. I don't think it's nearly big enough, and you can develop some nasty habits trying to overblow it to make it work. The comments regarding workmanship have been beaten within an inch of their life, so I'll let you search the archives for that.

My opinion; they have a long way to go before I would recommend that CC over an s-186, a 2145, a 52/54/56J, or any of the other more moderately-priced 4/4 CC tubas. They're still some time away from being ready to go to production with the St. Pete CC. By the time they're ready, you could have saved up the money for a good used horn at Dillon's, BBC, Oberloh, TE, Mid-South(?), or someone private in your area.

SD

Follow Ups: