Re: How to empty water from King 2341?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leaves slides in on June 13, 2002 at 14:06:11:

In Reply to: How to empty water from King 2341? posted by King on June 12, 2002 at 16:51:13:

Dear King:

It's possible to get the water out w/out pullling dem slides! It's less time consuming too. --

for emptying the 1st valve juice (it can collect in 2 places), here's what I do:

Start from playing position.
For the water in the small lower crook of 1st valve:
Depress and HOLD 1st valve, rotate horn left across your lap until at ~8 o'clock (water leaves small crook & goes thru the valve cross-tube), now upright the horn again, and the water should run thru the "open" valveset to the main slide. Drain w/waterkey.

For water in knuckle on left side of 1st valve:
Start w/ horn at ~10-11 o'clock (should be about like playing position for a new King).
Depress and HOLD 1st valve down. Rotate horn clockwise (over right shoulder works) and the water will leave the knuckle thru the 1st valve and come out the leadpipe. Before rotating back, release the valve, so any drops still in leadpipe will go thru the 'open' valves to the main slide.

For water in 4th valve knuckle (left of the valves from player perspective), do same maneuver as the last one above. Juice will exit the leadpipe. I have a water key there on mine, though.

2nd and 3rd knuckles (won't be much there usually):
rotate the horn clockwise to 1 or 2 o'clock. One at a time, depress and release 2nd and 3rd valve. water will exit knuckle thru valve and drop to main slide for drainange.

While it seems like a lot in writing, the whole process only takes a few seconds. The water can only go where gravity and the tubes tell it to go. It's much quicker and safer than pulling slides and trying not to drop anything while flippin' the horn around, and then fussing & clanking to put the slides back in. This made for a bad scene at a recital I saw once.

As a side note: It helps to know exactly which is the "send" and "return" on each valve branch, so that you can picture the pathways for water when the valves are open or engaged. Always drain water one valve at a time. Otherwise you may be pouring water from one valve branch into another instead of to the main slide.

Hope this helps.

Mark Mazak

Follow Ups: