Re: Re: Pushing the envelope

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on June 13, 2002 at 15:44:55:

In Reply to: Re: Pushing the envelope posted by Rick Denney on June 13, 2002 at 10:22:11:

What I was really referring to was the insistence of younger and younger players to push the technical aspects of playing at the expense of "playing musically".

There is no doubt that with much practice most players will never reach the level of a Roger Bobo. On the other hand, with much practice the same player might learn to at least play musically and therefore learn to "enjoy" his music that much more.

I am not admonishing anyone about a "lack of musicianship". Instead, I am concerned that with the emphasis on the higher, lower, louder, faster techniques that musicianship will be left in the dust. I respect many players in symphony orchestras. That is not to say that they are the "best" musicians. In fact, many of them are far from it. Yes, they took a good audition and WON the job. The difference in an orchestral or a band player and everyone else, is the conductor dictates to them how to play. He/she is the music maker. The player is just that, the player.

The free lancer, brass quintet player, soloist, jazzer, german band player, dixieland player have some leeway in the interpretation of the music. Without the basics and a sense of musicianship, those players would not make it. Rather, they would sit at home playing for themselves wondering why no jobs were available. Just my opinion.

Follow Ups: