Re: Re: Re: Discriminated BBb and Eb ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on June 15, 2002 at 21:15:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Discriminated BBb and Eb ??? posted by Frederick J. Young on June 15, 2002 at 13:07:52:

I had one final thought about building the perfect in tune tuba. This does sound like I good idea but there is always the human factor involved for the person playing. You can possibly build the perfect in tune instrument that will be perfect but I don't think any player out there is perfect. There are a few out there that are getting very close though.

Just my example on my Willson Eb. I have recently made the switch to strictly Eb tuba and I have run into a bit of a tuning problem that was not there when I had both horns and played both regulary. I am finding now that my fundamental Eb just below the staff tends to go sharp for me but the problem is me and not the horn because I can pull the tuning slide all the way out and it still is sharp. I find that buzzing on the mouthpiece fixes the problem and my teacher thinks that I have been focusing on playing with the tuner too much and actually rely more on visually looking at the tuner than using my ears. I have been practicing just over the past couple days without the tuner only checking it once in a while and it seems to be getting better. I wonder if the perfect in tune horn might already exist out there somewhere and it just needs the perfect player to find it.

Follow Ups: