Re: How high should I be going for?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on June 15, 2002 at 21:46:42:

In Reply to: How high should I be going for? posted by Doug on June 15, 2002 at 21:17:19:

That's pretty high already. I think maybe the best thing to concentrate on is working to play in that register with a really good quality sound. I had strived to reach the high upper register as well and I found that I could play as high on my CC as I could on my Eb. My goal was to reach the Bb an octave above the staff. I can have gone to the Eb above that on a good day but it does not have the sound quality I want. I think that perfecting your sound up there takes a lot of work also indurance is an issue as well. I am not sure that there is much tuba music written that high anyway. I think about the highest is the Bb in "The Morning Song". Roger Bobo plays that on a small F but he hits the Bb and has a great sound and even uses a vibrato. My goal is to get my upper register to sound more musical and less forced and eventually the high notes will be actually playable and not only for warming up and to see if I can hit them once in a while.

Good luck

Follow Ups: