Re: The best Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Arnold S. Gottlieb on June 16, 2002 at 15:06:10:

In Reply to: The best Tuba posted by Nathan on June 15, 2002 at 20:50:03:

I think the best tuba is a design in somebody's mind waiting to be built. With so many opinions on what key it would be in, I won't guess on what that may be, but, somebody is going to combine old time hand craftsmanship with technology to create something better than what we now have. I know people who are doing this now, but I imagine some youngster somewhere in east germany or indiana who is as familiar with his/her computer as they are with their grandfathers tools should one day make giant improvments. If one looks at what we all want, great tone, great intonation, the right resistance, comfortable playing position, or right "feel", all players seem to take the characteristics they want most, and then compromise to make the rest of the horn do what they want it to do. I realize that many manufacturers are doing their best at this(one that I have seen firsthand), but I think that if you look at the changes in the last century from the telegraph to the computer, I think we are in for big things in a short amount of time. Of course the market wil only be influenced by us, so these changes might go unheralded if we don't pay attention. Peace. ASG

Follow Ups: