Re: sell for better horn?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on June 20, 2002 at 14:00:19:

In Reply to: sell for better horn? posted by wondering on June 19, 2002 at 22:10:46:

So much of what we discuss here is based upon first impressions, play-testing of instruments comes to mind. So-and-so played this horn along with 12 others at x-y-z store last week and kept coming back to it, and bought it because it just "fits" perfectly.
First impressions are profound, and often unshake-able, but when it comes to tubas what often counts in the pit/on stage is what you get from second and third impressions. These are what happen when you go into the trenches with your axe and make application with it. I would love to own a Grand Orchestral Hirsbrunner, I've only owned one new tuba in my life and were I to ever want/need to buy a brand new horn I think an HB would be the ultimate (just as the first dent would be the ultimate bummer!) HOWEVER, I presently own a great large 6/4 horn and thus could never justify another big tuba...even if money were no object (lottery, wealthy wife's dowry, whatever.)
Now, as to your question about swapping a good 5/4 horn for an HB50 (6/4 horn.) I am assuming you mean this to be your only instrument (no f, or Eflat or small CC.)I also have a great 5/4 tuba, so I can say that for me if I could only keep one of these two tubas, as my only tuba, I'd have to make it the 5/4 horn. It's more useful in more settings. And more importantly, its more appropriate for more ensemble types. Period.
Much as I love my Holton, if I had to scale down to having one instrument only, the 5/4 horn is the better choice.

Dale "has a few horns for different situations so can speak to which would be best in general if I could only keep one" P.

Follow Ups: