Re: I need help teaching beginners

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on June 23, 2002 at 18:08:42:

In Reply to: I need help teaching beginners posted by tubanator on June 21, 2002 at 16:11:10:

If you can find a copy, the Kuhn-Cimmera Method is the best and quickest book for converting players of other instruments into a tubist. It may be out of print by now but it covers just the material needed to play tuba on the marching field and then concert band by the winter. Sorry, I'm down to my last copy.

Next, keep in mind that kids don't want to just hear what they are doing wrong. Before you say a negative, comment on a positive first. "You do so and so very well. However, this and that needs help. This is what works for me. You DID this and I DO that. Hear the difference? Now try to DO that instead." Then, reinforce even the slightest improvement. Sometimes there is none and you have to withhold reward.

Start working on very basic lip slurrs. I've converted Clarinetist before and they have the hardest time with a lip slurr. Expect months before that catches up with the rest of their playing.

Good luck and don't be afraid to say, I don't know.
Matt

Follow Ups: