Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Blue Shades topic below

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 24, 2002 at 12:34:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Blue Shades topic below posted by Anthony on June 24, 2002 at 12:03:33:

It is a fair use under copyright law to quote an excerpt in a critical review or for educational purposes without permission or royalty. The first page of the work might be considered an excerpt by this definition, especially (I would think) if it does not include a performable portion. Therefore, this practice is probably not a violation of the copyright, though the lawyers around here can clarigy if I've strayed too far.

To me, the moral conclusion comes from this: Does the practice promote the legitimate sale of music, which, in turn, supports its creation; or does the practice circumvent the legitimate sale of the music. I think in your case, it promotes rather than circumvents. In most of the other cases presented in these threads, however, the opposite is true.

A better way to say it is this: Would you look the composer in the eye and tell him what you did without feeling uncomfortable?

Rick "who thinks many folks justify their behavior based only on a delusion of self-victimhood" Denney

Follow Ups: