NeRTEC 2003 - call for artists

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Manning on June 25, 2002 at 06:17:27:

As many of you know, ITEA has switched to having regional conferences on odd numbered years. For those of you in the Northeast U.S., I will be hosting the Northeastern Regional Tuba Euphonium Conference (NeRTEC) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. I am currently calling for artists, clinicians, and vendors. The dates are Friday, March 21 through Sunday March 23, 2003.

In keeping with the theme of "Diversity", I am seeking artists, ensembles and lecturers who can showcase the eclectic and diverse array of styles of music which utilize the tuba and/or euphonium. The focus will be on the northeast, but all are welcome to attend. My goal is to present many styles ( classical, jazz, rock, avant-garde, world music) and formats (soloists, ensembles, professors, amateurs, military groups, lecturers, composers).

Please let me know if you are interested and what you are proposing. If you can commit, please contact me as soon as possible and we can discuss the details. Although it is quite early, I would like to be able to supply the International Tuba Euphonium Association (ITEA) with as much information on the conference as possible. They are asking for a preliminary report to help publicize the event, which is due July 10th. By no means is this the final deadline, but the more confirmations I receive by then the more will be included in the fall issue of the ITEA Journal.

To give you some idea of what I hope to accomplish, here are some of the ideas I have planned:

CONFIRMED:

• Adam Frey ( Yamaha Performing Artist ) presenting an eclectic mix of music for the euphonium

• Scott Mendoker (Rutgers University) presenting a program to include works by David Sampson's

• Jay Rozen and "Three" presenting a unique mixture of "experimental" and improvised music

• Joe Skillen ( Louisiana State University ) in recital

• ITEA Lifetime Achievement awards honoring special guests

• A "Low Blowers" amateur ensemble

• Vendors of instruments, sheet music and recordings

• A lecture demonstration on Chinese tuba music by Boston University DMA candidate Chi-Sun Chan

HOPEFULLY: (perhaps you can help realize one of these)

- A military tuba euphonium quartet
- A mock audition ( guaranteed winner! )
- An Intercollegiate Tuba Euphonium Ensemble
- A Klezmer band
- A Balkan brass band
- A british style brass band
- A civil war "Serenade Band"
- A New Orleans Style brass band
- A serpant and ophicleides demonstration
- Harvard's colossal tuba on display
- Jazz night
- Premiers of new works
- Masterclasses by professional euphonium and tuba performers and teachers

POSSIBLY:

- Greg Fritze (Berklee School) discussing Spanish band music
- A "Shout Band"
- An exhibition of tuba and euphonium art and photography

Obviously a lot of this is up in the air, so the events are subject to change. With your help, I hope to make this an exciting and enjoyable event for everyone.If you have any suggestions about what you would like to see or hear at NeRTEC,let me know.

For those interested in attending NeRTEC 2003, feel free to contact me. I hope to have a website with details soon.

Thanks,

John Manning
University of Massachusetts

Follow Ups: