Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Extreme high range on tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubajake on June 26, 2002 at 11:26:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Extreme high range on tuba posted by Larry Zaidan on June 26, 2002 at 08:35:41:

I realize that all instruments have their respective strengths. Now, being a composer, I kind of like to write to the strength of the horn in question and, every now and then, throw in some stuff that tests the musician by writing in a context that would normally show off the weakness of the horn. Kinda like the First movement of the Gregson Concerto. A lotta really good stuff in and slightly above the staff, and then he hits you with that theme with the tonal center being G at the top of the staff and takes you up to an E above it. Always thought that was a great excercise in the use of contrasting registers.
I agree with Both Rick AND Larry. The strengths of the horn should be written to, but not only do writing to the weaknesses give us "more colour to paint with", it also can be an aid to help the player grow a little. Granted, a high school kid with no air stream isn't going to grow by playing a solo that has every note written above, or at the top of, the staff. All I'm saying is that the piece should be written with sensetivity to not only what the horn can do, but what you want to acomplish with it. If you want to write a big majestic piece with a whole lotta bass stuff, write the tuba low. If you want a light piece, write the tuba in its mid to high range, if at all.

Later,

Tubajake

Follow Ups: