Re: Re: Re: Advice on purchasing a C tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 28, 2002 at 17:35:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Advice on purchasing a C tuba posted by Doug on June 28, 2002 at 16:21:07:

I've never played a PT-4. I suspect that it will be like a smaller Miraphone, but with a smoother, darker tone. I can't say how it will feel. There are PT-4 fans would will want to roast me for putting it in the same sentence as the Miraphone, but what do I care? I'm just a second-rate amateur giving away free advice that's worth what you pay for it.

The Miraphone 188 is a wonderful tuba. It is easy to play and has excellent intonation. The sound is what I would call strong--it can cut through noise pretty well--but it is not the deep, blossomy sound of an American-style tuba. The Conn has more of that sort of sound.

So many good pros have fallen in love with the Conns that I hesitate even to hint that I've not been so impressed with them. I'm sure it is me. I have, on the other hand, really admired the Getzen G-50 which is in the same general category as the Conn. Both are smallish 4/4 tubas with large bells and a medium bore.

The Miraphone is large for a 4/4 and could almost be classified as a 5/4 tuba except that the Rudy Meinl 5/4 really is larger. It has a larger bore than the Conn, but I'm not sure of the importance of that difference. My taste runs to the Miraphone if the Conn is the only other choice, but I'd take the Getzen over either.

There are other tubas in your price range, too, and the advice to try them at TBA is good.

But I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. One thing to remember is that as you mature further as a player, you'll gain experience on more instruments and you'll develop a better notion of what you want. As a result, you'll probably end up wanting something different than what you choose now. That's when you sell your current horn and buy another one. I'd be tempted to by a good used example of whatever you choose, because it will cost a bit less and it will earn you back more of what you pay for it should you decide to sell it in the future.

Rick "giving you more than you asked for and less than you wanted" Denney

Follow Ups: