Re: Re: Circular Breathing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 29, 2002 at 08:28:54:

In Reply to: Re: Circular Breathing posted by Can Opener on June 28, 2002 at 23:43:22:

Perhaps we're coming to the end of the era when circular breathing is more rare than not. I can't say for sure. What I do know is that I never even tried to learn circular breathing because I never saw any point to it. I don't do it nor have I felt that I really needed it. In a large concert hall, I can mask my breathing fairly effectively by taking quick breaths while the sound is reverberating.

That said, I'm reading these days that more and more players are using this technique. It may get to a point that circular breathing is required in audition situations but I'm not willing to speculate on if/when that will happen. I can tell you that at the recent ITEC, none of the participants in the Mock Orchestra Audition used circular breathing. I suspect that we're not at the point yet where circular breathing is something expected. If you can do it well, you should use it where appropriate but I just don't see it at this point as a prerequisite.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: