Re: extravagant student ensemble trips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cheryl on June 01, 2003 at 14:01:25:

In Reply to: extravagant student ensemble trips posted by js on June 01, 2003 at 13:09:25:

I went with the San Jose Youth Orchestra to Germany and Austria my junior year in high school. Nearly 5 years later, I still regard that trip as a valuable learning experience. In music history we talked about Vienna -- I had actually been there. I saw where Mozart was born, saw a REAL polka band, and got to experience music with other people my age in interesting, musically relevant places.

Recently, my former high school's wind ensemble took a trip to Carnegie Hall. And there's no musical value in that? C'mon. I would have gladly forked over $2000 bucks in high school (even if it meant taking on two jobs) to have had the opportunity to play at Carnegie Hall.

So, maybe these two trips are the exceptions. It seems as if you are either bitter that today's kids have more opportunities for travel, or just upset that you have to end up paying for them. Give the directors a little credit -- most of them are probably just trying to hype up their dying programs, anyway.

Cheryl Budisch

Follow Ups: