Re: Re: Re: Re: extravagant student ensemble trips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cliff on June 02, 2003 at 07:44:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: extravagant student ensemble trips posted by yeah, but... on June 01, 2003 at 20:11:28:

You're right about the harder work on the trips. I take my band on a larger trip about every 2-3 years. This past year we went to the Cotton Bowl. Adding food money in to the mix the total cost per student was about $500. $500 is my target for maximum out-of-pocket for a trip. I also keep the band fees/expenses low. This year's band fee is up to $100, but will drop some next year. This next year, we will do a smaller expense trip ($150-200) if we do one at all. These cost levels work for my situation. If i were in a more affluent/less affluent school it would be adjusted accordingly. BTW, i don't think I would like a job in a school where I had to go to Europe or cross-country to keep up with the previous director. Is any travel absolutely neccsary (?) No, but it made some kids initially interested in band that may not have been. Notice I say "initially". Students here about a trip and "Wow, I want to go on that trip". But at Band Camp when reality hits them, then the unsure will leave. The ones who stay, work hard, learn music, have fun, and go on a great trip. These kids who originally joined the HS band for "the trip" are now playing music and there has not been a mass exodus because we're not going somewhere bigger and better next year. In my opinion student should do/be several things:

(in no particular order, just how I thought about them)

1. be educational (musical, or otherwise)
2. involve as many students as possible
3. have at least one performance
4. limit out-of-class time
5. have a resonable cost, based on demographics (for me $500 max, every other year)
6. be chosen by the director
7. expose students to new things
8. provide good press for the band,school, community.

Back to my original thought about the hardwork now... Each night of the Cotton Bowl i was lucky if i got into bed by 1:30 AM and was up at 5:30 AM. On our trips, my smiling face is the last thing the kids see before bed and the first thing they see when I wake them up. Unfortunatley there was nowhere for me to crash during the day. Oh well.

Cliff Higgins

Follow Ups: