Re: extravagant student ensemble trips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on June 02, 2003 at 11:24:43:

In Reply to: extravagant student ensemble trips posted by js on June 01, 2003 at 13:09:25:

Joe,
Here is the real problem:
Contests for the use of handing out trophies only.

Example:
I have given many private lessons to many students. As a service to them and myself, I will listen to his/her end of the year concert or whatever they have that they are really excited about. Some of these students have been in some not-so-good programs. Ones that get embarassed by the first tier schools in the area (When working in a county that has 15+ high schools). These schools go off to these "Contests" and because of the complex matrix of classifications that the contest administrators come up with, every band goes home with a trophy that is at least 3' tall. The comments that usually come from these judges are less than critical and usually useless for the development of these programs.

Being previously from the land of "Mouse Magic" I have seen a lot of these contests that use the local amusement parks as bait. The guys who administer this process make a lot of money. A LOT. The directors that help out by offering up there school facility get money and equipment from these guys.

I am a proponent of capitalism, but the way these guys make money borders on fraud. These students show up, play lousy, and leave with at least one 3' trophy per contest entered. These programs are so bad, the directors have left the auditorium bordering on tears from holing in the laughter. In my case, it was some kids from wherever, really on a band trip to go on some rides while the majority of their parents stayed at home. The director goes home with a nice trophy (First place = 5', second place = 4', third place = 3') so he can prove to his/her principal that he deserves his job by playing a program with exhausted kids to a auditorium with the band parents and the chorus kids only in attendance with 3 local band directors hoping to make a few bucks on the side.

While I know that some trips are more meritorious than others, I still believe that the reason behind these trips is suspect.

If these locations held a festival or contest that was on par with the average big high school districts (15+ high schools) where the students received medals, no one walked away with a gaudy 3'+ trophy and the main attraction was the contest itself, that drew out vast numbers from the local community, I could see the merit. I have seen too many times that these trips also include the band director and his family for free, compliments of the tour company. And if anyone believes this trip is really "free" and it isn't subsidized out of the students fares, therefore being often paid by the parents, then you'll probably believe a person would have a high success rate at mango and banana farming in Antartica without a greenhouse.

I recommend the money is better spent on a local outing with the students and the parents at a local point of interest without the need for performance to get in the way of having a good time.

Matt G

P.S. Like I said earlier, not ALL trips are bad, but the reasons and priorities must be there for it to be worth the time and money.

Follow Ups: