Re: Re: Re: extravagant student ensemble trips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cliff on June 02, 2003 at 13:41:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: extravagant student ensemble trips posted by From Parts Unknown on June 02, 2003 at 12:28:00:

Agreed. But it is a motivation issue. Parents (at least mine band parents) will shell out $200 - $500 for a trip before they would to fix the tubas, new piccolos, repairs etc.
It is usually "what is the short-term benefit for ME" attitude. It is not just parents. We went on a trip this year and the school board decided to give us $13000 to buy new marching drums and other equipment for that trip. My repeated, yearly request for chairs, stands new timpani etc. have fallen on deaf ears. Somebody in another post complained about superficial trophies and awards and such. well, yes we got a trophy for winning the parade competition, and yes, I know it was not a big deal. But my school board, principal, and parents loved it. So much so that the school system is helping to foot the bill for new uniforms this year and they INCREASED how much they are giving the band this year (funds completely at my dicretion, no strings attached). So the students, band, and community benefited. I may get those timpani yet!! Could I have got each parent to give the band the $370 cost of the trip to the program instead? I've got a bridge i'll sell the person who believes that. To the people who talk about these trips being a way to inflate the BD status... some directors do that but wise ones keep the focus on the accomplishments of the kids not themselves.

Sorry about the multiple-thought rant. Trips used in moderation are a good thing (which is what I think the original poster really meant)

Cliff Higgins

Follow Ups: