Re: Packing for overseas flights

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brent Herhold on June 02, 2003 at 17:18:54:

In Reply to: Packing for overseas flights posted by Scott on June 01, 2003 at 08:32:18:

In 1965 I traveled with the University of Michigan Jazz Band to Latin America on a 3+-month State Department-sponsored trip. I was given the responsibility of designing traveling cases for all our instruments (apparently, there were no engineering students in the band!) The University had a department that constructed stuff, and, after meeting with them it was decided to build traveling cases that would double as risers----quite ingenious! The case that housed my tuba was large enough to hold the horn and hard shell case; it doubled as part of the drum riser.

So, if your university is thus equipped you might suggest they build you a case; in the long run it would probably be cheaper than buying a Johnson case, and easier than renting horns in the UK.

(By the way, I had to leave the horn behind in the Dominican Republic; the ’65 Revolution broke out while we were there, the Marines and Navy evacuated the Band and circumstances made it impossible to take the horn!)

Good luck and have a great time; my trip was some of the best days of my life!

Brent

Follow Ups: