Re: Playing a Famous Instrument

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by William Pemberton on June 03, 2003 at 05:32:53:

In Reply to: Playing a Famous Instrument posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on June 03, 2003 at 02:01:05:

Twenty years ago when I was at the University of Michigan and needed my first CC tuba, Abe Torchinsky contacted Getzen Music to see if they still had William Bell's HN White model similar to his own. Mr. T told me that due to unfortunate financial situations at the end of Bell's life, Getzen took control of the instrument upon his death. Torchinsky arranged for me to buy the horn, which I used for a school year. When my student loans were delayed the next year, I sold it quickly to a businessman in San Francisco, so that I could remain in school. Often I think about how stupid that was, but I was only 18 at the time, and recall not liking the response of the horn as well as you'd think I would. I was told the buyer owned an establishment called the "President's Club" (as I try and recall now) and was also told that F. Cooley had played on it some afterwards. I have no idea if there is any truth to that. Anyone know where this horn is now? Currently I play on a beautiful EEb, but I' not famous at all. I also play frequently on an awesome 1921 Holton mammoth helicon, but it was in a local farmer's basement when I found it. Who knows what its history is.....

Follow Ups: