Re: What do you consider "good intonation?"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mattt Walters on June 04, 2003 at 09:43:22:

In Reply to: What do you consider "good intonation?" posted by Doc on June 03, 2003 at 13:53:04:

Doc,
The "Ideal" sound is very subjective. Playing out of tune is OUT OF TUNE! Missing notes is missing notes! Not everyone knows what Arnold Jacobs, Bill Bell, or any other tuba hero you choose to imulate, sounds like. Everyone will know when you miss notes and most people can tell if you are out of tune. Of course you shouldn't buy a horn that sounds like crap to you. But when you have narrowed your selection down to 2-3 tubas, pick the one that is easiest to play securely and is also the most in tune. Auditioning? When you send in that tape, they are not going by the tone quality. They want to know can this person play cleanly, rythmically, and in tune. That's who gets invited to show up. Do you think contractors say, "He misses a lot of notes and is out of tune, but he has a big sound so let's rehire him."? No. You will more often hear of the guy who gets the gig, "Maybe not the best sound in the world, but he is reliable, plays well (cleanly with good intonation and phrasing), and gets along with others. Let's call him for the next gig." The rest of the world doesn't even know what a tuba really sounds like, anyway.

As for sound, Roger Bobo sounds like Roger Bobo when playing either a Miraphone or a Yamaha. Some horns make it easier to reproduce the tuba you must first hear in your mind. If you inner voice is strong enough, you will sound great on any piece of crap.

It's human nature for each individual to assume they represent the norm. Especially if you live in a little vacuum. I had my eyes opened when I came to work at Dillon Music. Being exposed daily to players that range from pathetic hacks with attitudes, to refined musicians with polite manners, I've been able to draw my own conclusions about what is average. I'm not talking just about tuba and Euphonium here. I get to hear it in all the other brass instruments.

When talking long distance to any of the brokers of tubas, tell us what you played and how it responded for you. If you say you played a 4/4 Nirschel made 9 years ago and the C below the staff was right on the money, I know that you are used lipping down the lower register and a horn like the Conn 56J would not work for you. If I have heard someone play and get to know them, I can usually be right on the money about the intonation for them. If I know you play with a tight smile embrochure, I will try to mimic that when testing horns for you. From a dealer's perspective, we think we failed if you ever send a horn back and feel bad that you are out the shipping charges. My two cents, plus I reserve the right to learn and change my mind at any time.
Matt

Follow Ups: