Re: jazzers - re: Aebersold

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Thomas on June 04, 2003 at 11:20:42:

In Reply to: jazzers - re: Aebersold posted by B.G. on June 04, 2003 at 01:34:24:

I learned with the Abersold books and CDs. Find a song you really like or a style you really like. When I started I really enjoyed listening to BB King so I played a lot of blues. The book Blues in All Keys is what I had available and that's what I played. Then I played stuff with a good head and easy changes out of Maiden Voyage. After my blues phase if you will, I started playing a lot of Duke Ellington. My whole take on improvising is it shouldn't be like you're getting teeth pulled. You should always want to learn it and enjoy learning to improvise. If you don't enjoy improvising then why would you do it? If you spend a few weeks on scales and patterns and never improvise the your attention and initial drive for learning will be lost, that is the case in most people. Warner Brothers have some good books out there. And the biggest thing is listen, and don't listen to a lot of tuba players to learn. I might get in trouble for saying that, but there are not a lot of really good jazz tuba players out there. Other instruments have an abundant amount of good players that improvise very well, and the solos are easy to hear ad duplicate in your playing. Most of all have fun.

Follow Ups: