Re: Playing everything on the big horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 05, 2003 at 10:01:50:

In Reply to: Playing everything on the big horn posted by jeff on June 04, 2003 at 20:16:37:

It ain't the instrument. It's the music.

I'm not a great tuba player. But I love music, and at this stage of my life, I can get the effect I think is most musical playing different instruments in different circumstances. I suspect pros do the same thing, and even the great tuba players. What is the most efficient means of getting that music in our head into the physical world?

As an amateur, that equates to the fun factor. Pros use the tools that get the job done efficiently, but amateurs use the tools that are the most fun to use. I define "fun" as surprising myself by actually producing what's in my head.

Why would a carpenter use a sledge-hammer to drive a nail? There are only two possible reasons: 1.) it's the only hammer he has, or 2.) he's trying to prove that he can. 'Tis true that a good carpenter should be able to get good results with the sledge hammer while a weekend hack like me bends the nail and scars the wood, but if I can get the job done with the proper hammer, then why should I show off or risk the product?

Actually, in thinking about all the pros I've known in a variety of skilled endeavors, ranging from carpentry to auto mechanics to photography to music (and instrument repair) to engineering, the real pros identify themselves by their scrupulous choice and use of the most appropriate tools for the job. That's why a professional mechanic has that tool chest that reaches to the ceiling, while you and I make do with the $99 set from Sears.

Rick "whose good tools help hide limited skills" Denney

Follow Ups: