Two Years and Counting!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Kinsel on June 06, 2003 at 10:44:29:

Two years ago I posted a message (see link below) asking whether I should come back to playing tuba after a 21-year layoff. The postings in response were overwhelmingly in favor of it, although some did warn me that it will consume my life.

Well, it has consumed my life...and for the better! I bought a VMI 2103 from Mike Russo (formerly(?) of WWBW) two years ago. I joined a brass band and then a local symphonic band. I also do some church gigs here and there and other stuff (brass quintet, mostly). And, of course, two Tuba Christmases and counting. I am having a blast! I now have two more tubas: A Bohm-Meinl small Sousaphone and a Conn 20J, both of which were purchased on the Internet auction house which shall remain nameless and, surprisingly enough, were in really good shape for what I paid for them.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, but she probably knew that before. I am only allowed to keep the 20J in her Victorian reproduction living room because she thinks it looks like it fits. The other two stay in the basement. (If this works, there should be a picture link below of the three horns...don't tell my wife that I had all three in the living room!)

Given that I work full-time (and then some) and have a young child plus a house to take care of, I don't have the time to practice that used to have. I will probably not get back to the playing shape that I was 23 years ago, but that's OK. I am having far too much fun to worry about it.

So thank-you all for encouraging me. I am so glad I got back to the tuba. I have two friends that are ex-tuba players, also. I am now trying to infect them with the same bug that got me two years ago! (Hey, it ain't like it's SARS or anything!) Now I will go into TubeNetBBS hiding for another two years...still lurking about, however.

Follow Ups: