Re: Top-Quality BBb's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SHS Tubamaster on June 06, 2003 at 22:13:21:

In Reply to: Top-Quality BBb's posted by Beef Latter on June 06, 2003 at 20:38:17:

Although not as big as I'm guessing you're specifying, the King 2341 is one of the few american-style horns out there with the BBb piston configuration. Along with the Willson 3100 and some Hirsbrunner types, the Gronitz PBK is one of the few 6/4 size piston BBbs available. Since rotary is mostly what the german pros play, Alex, Rudolf Meinl, and Hirsbrunner all make(or have made) rotary kaisertuben in some form or another, as do MW, Gronitz, Willson, and Miraphone. If I wanted a top-quality BBb, I would go for the 5/4 Rudy Meinl "Bayreuth" model, or a good Miraphone 190.
As to the 5th valve, it is only a good idea if you do a lot of playing below low E. If not, one can get by with four valves. Look to Lee Stofer for Alex and Rudys, and Tony Clements for Gronitz. Roger Lewis at Brasswind has Willsons, and may still have a 3100.
Miraphones can also be found at Brasswind, and Roger does a good job of matching the horn to the customer.

SHS"not trying to patronize anyone here"Tubamaster

Follow Ups: