Re: Re: Re: Portrait of an Artist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on June 08, 2003 at 01:16:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Portrait of an Artist posted by alex on June 07, 2003 at 21:29:15:

Due to technical problems which apparently developed over the years with the master tape, the Bozza Sonatine on Portrait of an Artist was transferred in mono as a single channel. Fortunately, the recording, as taped by WFMT, was recorded with a very simple mike set-up which emphasized the ambient acoustics of Chicago's Auditorium Theatre. There is a slight loss of presence in the horn and trombone, though you'd hardly notice it without the stereo source to compare it to. I have a stereo version of the entire program, as taped off-the-air when the program was broadcast in 1966. It took a few listens to the Portrait version, and the observation of a friend before I realized that the Portrait version of the Bozza was in one-channel.

Mr. Jacobs played the York on this program, defying received opinion that a small tuba is mandatory for Bozza-like repertoire. Other great tubists, such as John Fletcher, and Harvey Philips have recorded the Bozza on smaller equipment. No invidious camparisons need be made in such company. I disagree with the statement that Mr. Jacobs dominates too much. The balance is superb, even with the loss of one stereo channel. The "dominant" factor is the astonishing clarity of every note, and Jake's stunning musicality, revealed by the total mastery of his technique.

Follow Ups: