Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Denis Wick euphonium mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 08, 2003 at 19:33:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Denis Wick euphonium mouthpieces posted by don't be so sure... on June 05, 2003 at 21:31:05:

Yes, both have to sound like your first instrument, for the notes being asked of you. I would not dream of accepting a tuba/euphonium double assignment where I could not review the music first, even if it was for no pay. And I would not accept a pro gig even on tuba unless I was sure the music was within my reach.

The quintet tune I was referring to was an arrangement of the march from the Holst 2nd Suite. That arrangement has a lovely euphonium solo in it, and I'm sure an artist would have played it much better than I. But I didn't hold our quintet back with my rendition any more than I do on tuba. But I'm good for about three playings of it before my euph chops are blown.

I was actually expanding my own experiences with those of a noted professional, who reported on these pages that he has done a number of gigs on euphonium with far less stringent requirements than those that would be applied to euphonium artist. When he used the term "artist", he meant someone standing on stage as a solo performer, with audience members there to hear the euphonium performed at the heights of its potential. That was my usage also. I expect I could play many of the euphonium parts handed to the euph players in my band and get the job done like most of them (for a little while). None of us could play like an artist.

Rick "figuring nobody is reading this far down any more" Denney

Follow Ups: