Re: Re: Re: NY Phil moving to Carnegie?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on June 10, 2003 at 08:01:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: NY Phil moving to Carnegie? posted by js on June 09, 2003 at 23:43:42:

Living in the NYC metropolitan area for the past 20+ years, we've attended well over a hundred concerts in both Avery Fisher Hall and Carnegie Hall (before and after its big renovation). There is no question that Carnegie Hall's acoustices are infinitely superior to those of Avery Fisher Hall. We had a subscription to the Philharmonic for years, but the combination of lackluster playing (it often seemed that many of the musicians saw it as just another gig, there was rarely any excitement in their playing) and mediocre acoustics led us to give them up for various series at Carnegie, where the sound was always wonderful.

Most recently, we were in Avery Fisher in May when my daughter's Jazz Ensemble was an Essentially Ellington Festival finalist. We were about 2/3 back in Orchestra seats and could not hear very well. My wife and I had just been talking about resubscribing to the Philharmonic, and we looked at each other and said "now we remember why we dropped the subscription."

I just hope the effect on Lincoln Center isn't devastating. The only good hall on the plaza is the Metropolitan Opera House. The New York State Theater is good for ballet and other dance, but I don't think anyone likes it as an opera or music house. Alice Tully Hall, at adjacent Julliard, is also a good hall, IMO.

Follow Ups: