Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dan Perantoni at the IHS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on June 10, 2003 at 13:51:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dan Perantoni at the IHS posted by K on June 10, 2003 at 10:08:58:

It was not the direction of the airpath that was referenced, but the fact that the lead pipe was so much shorter when it went in the "front" of the valves, causing the immediate back pressure problem you speak of. I did not make this clear, apparently. Going in the "back" of the valves caused a longer leadpipe, which played better, and which is the common configuration on piston F tubas. I was wondering what would ensue with rotary F tubas if this longer lead pipe path were tried.

I think the problem is not one of culture, but of which tuba was the beginning instrument (which I suppose could be culture, after all.) I imagine that I am at least as good on my F tuba in my less than two years of playing, as were many who are high level pros today. I will get a good low sound yet, and have on occasion, but I think I have about a year to go to be consistent with it. Two years for a good sound is not so bad, hey?

MA

Follow Ups: