Re: Dan Perantoni at the IHS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on June 11, 2003 at 02:26:35:

In Reply to: Dan Perantoni at the IHS posted by Mary Ann on June 09, 2003 at 09:52:47:

I think Meinl's answer makes total sense. Having heard a couple of German musicians play German F tubas I can report that I heard zero issues with any register. It really is a matter of practice and many American tubists expect F tubas to play like CC tubas. If you want a CC tuba, then play one. The F tuba should be a different instrument.

The C on an F tuba is not a problem if the individual learns to play the horn. No different than playing pedal notes on CC tubas. With practice and the right approach, an excellent product can be conveyed.

I have no problem with an F tuba playing differently than a CC tuba. If you want an F tuba which plays like a CC, then buy a Yamaha. I personally think that the German F's sound so distinct in no small part to their design. This design requires a certain approach which helps to steer the sound. The Yamahas allow a more lazy approach. Not that all Yamaha players are lazy. I am just saying that because one can easily play a Yamaha like a CC tuba that many people do just that. What you end up with is a higher pitched CC tuba sound instead of a unique F tuba sound.

Then again what do I know. I play a Yamaha Sousaphone. Go figure that one out.

Follow Ups: