Re: Musician's life in the Military

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ryan W. Schultz on June 17, 2003 at 22:02:59:

In Reply to: Musician's life in the Military posted by Curious on June 17, 2003 at 10:39:42:

What the heck, here I go. . .

I served with Alan Herold at Fort Lewis for 3.5 years. I met some good musicians, wonderful people, some awful musicians and some despicable people. I'm glad I did it (no more student loans and a wealth of Free-lancing-like experience) and I'm really glad I left in 1999. Now I play tuba (Pacific Northwest Ballet Orchestra) and teach in Seattle and really enjoy my work.

Here's what I tell my students: If you're considering going to college do not join a regular military band (e.g. non-premier)--BTW don't do what a kid I went to Basic Training did either-enlist in a special band before winning the audition. He was first chair Euphonium in the PA honor band and "knew he was good" (when I met him he was raking leaves and contemplating a career as a military truck driver). If you're a person looking for a job out of high school and you like to play but don't want to go to college then consider enlisting for a regular band. Having written that I hope those of you who are considering doing what I did realize that yes, a good high school player can be your stand partner in a "regular" band. I didn't feel like defering my loans and trying to pay rent while preparing for a better job to open up so I just took the gig.

Playing Sousaphone in 90 degree weather or in a Nortwest rain can be a drag but there are certainly worse ways to make a living. I have many fond memories (and a few back aches).

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Follow Ups: