Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on June 18, 2003 at 12:44:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military posted by Rick Denney on June 18, 2003 at 11:29:56:

The most important issues is doing what you like. You don't have to love it, but at least a general interest is needed. Musicians are usually lucky in this respect. But the environment around them tempers their attitude towards their work.

Some jobs just stink, regardless of what we do, but if we choose to stay in them we are the fools. In the case of the Military, I hope people do a lot of thinking before the sign up.

One must remember that they are ultimately responbile for their own happiness. I am anticipating a big change in life (quitting, going back to school, etc.) because it is what I want to do. It only took 5 years out of college to decide what I really wanted to get a degree in!

Playing a sousaphone isn't a lot of fun, especially when someone is yelling at you for whatever reason with no basis of logic or understanding, but it is a lot better than digging ditches for the same type of person with a degree in music.

Unfortunately, the Peter Principle is a rampant problem. However, it is also a function of the system. Everyon has their limits, it is just unfortunate when those limits impact someone else, usually in a negative manner.

Matt G

Follow Ups: