Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it me?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by danny on June 21, 2003 at 11:34:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it me? posted by Can't agree... on June 20, 2003 at 19:29:58:

It is I think a difference in perception. Many of the euphonium players in America that I've talked to will say, and believe, that British players play with a bright sound. In fact, they will continue to be amazed that even with the large compensating euphoniums they use, the British play with a bright sound. It kind of boggles my mind, because when I was in Britain at Royal Northern, I was told that I was playing with a very "American" sound (aka bright). I am not sure, but it seems to me that perhaps the verbage is incorrect here. Perhaps instead of talking about dark and bright we should be talking about issues of presence or maybe even pure volume of sound. NOT that Americans can't, and don't play with large sounds, but in general, I do believe that we don't come close to what the British do. Sitting in the Brickhouse and Rastick rehearsals, and the Black Dyke rehearsals, I can say without a DOUBT that I've never been asked to play with a bigger, larger, louder sound IN MY 15 years of playing the euphonium. I had to work hard to produce enough sound for the FFs, only to play the quietest that I've ever played in the next bar at pp. It was amazing, and not something that I think anyone in America has really experienced. I've played with the North Texas Wind Symphony, and now with the USAF Band in D.C. If I played as loud as I did in Britain, I'd for sure be signing Article 15 paperwork (well, that might be a bit extreme...). But that kind of dynamic range at the high end doesn't fit here.
So, after that slight tangent, like I was saying before, I do believe that we are using terms of apples to describe oranges. Both countries have the idea that the other plays with a brighter sound. Presence of sound, might provide a more appropriate means for discussion.

For what it's worth
Danny "I always type too much and say mostly nothing" Helseth

Follow Ups: