Re: Miraphone census

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 23, 2003 at 10:50:20:

In Reply to: Miraphone census posted by SHS Tubamaster on June 22, 2003 at 16:57:33:

I have a BBb 186 from about 1977, econo-overhauled about ten years ago. I use a Doug Elliott 132-2N-T6 combination on it (think Conn Helleberg with PT-48 rim).

It's my preferred instrument for standing gigs where I need a contrabass. At 18 pounds it is significantly lighter than my other two BBb tubas. I particularly like it for smaller ensembles of 20 or so.

The only modification I've made is replacing the dreadful white plastic ball-joints with those of my own making using Du-Bro ball joints. At the same time, I reshaped the spatula arms so that the spatulas are nearly touching, and I wish my piston tubas had valve buttons so close. I had what was left of the lacquer removed when it was overhauled. Also, the guy who did the overhaul put the bell back on with the label facing to the right instead of the front, and though he offered to fix it, I didn't seen the need. Now, I claim it sounds better that way, and you'd be amazed at the number of people who believe me.

Rick "who likes the Miraphone but who thinks it lacks the resonance and depth--and pianissimo responsiveness--of the Holton" Denney

Follow Ups: