Rick Denney (Holton question)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on June 25, 2003 at 00:44:34:

Okay, Mr Denney. Start researching! What model of Holton mouthpiece was included with the purchase of a shiny, new Holton BAT, and did that change over the period of time that they were built?

I just liberated (heh heh) an old 1950s or '60s Holton 12 from the shop. It and a Mt Vernon 24 AW (sans plating) were being used as rams on two of our older slide pulling rods. (cringe...)

The Holton is nickel plated (odd) and quite beautiful. After spending five hours playing it tonight, I am convinced that it might have been offered as a stock piece with one of the BATs. It makes my 621 F play with a very colorful sound. If I may be so bold, I believe that my Yamaha now has hot fudge and sprinkles to add to its vanilla sound! And the pitch is a bit better than anything that I have used on that instrument. It also makes my Miraphone 180 F play with a much better sound in the low register.

It is no panacea, but it is really very interesting. Since most folks with BATs seem to gravitate towards smaller mouthpieces anyway, maybe it would match up well with a Holton BAT. It has a rim similar to a DE 2N and has an internal shape somewhere between an older CH and a Bach 18 (ie - a CH with a bit of a bowl). The exterior shape is very beautiful.

If you have not used one of these you might find it to be of interest to you. When I am through playing around with it, would you be interested in becoming its Foster Tubist for a few months?

Wade "really liking this MP on my F tubas and want to have it tried out on a BAT of the same make" Rackley

Follow Ups: