Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rudy Meinl F tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christian on July 02, 2003 at 16:45:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rudy Meinl F tuba posted by Still Waiting . . . on July 01, 2003 at 11:22:53:

No need to shout. But please remember, nobody here is obligated to actually answer your question. ;-)

My understanding is the very sharp third partial on older Rudi Meinl F tubas is normal, typical even. Some have very pretty sounds but are lots of work to play. They are one of those models of tubas that I'd like to own to play around with if I got a deal on it, but then i'd probably sell it after about a year. I actually really liked playing one of them a lot (a 6v one), but I don't think i need one.

I'd also like to stress that new Rudi F tubas do not have this problem, sound just as good or better, and are MUCH easier to play (quite wonderful, actually).

So, on to my answer to your question (though I don't think you'll like it),
How to improve the pitch of the third partial?

1. You can try a bunch of mouthpieces. You probably won't find one that will fix it but you might find something that will make it easier to lip down. (I realize you said your pal already tried this)
2. You can sell the tuba and get one with a different set of problems.
3. alternate fingerings, try playing the C 4th valve or 1+2+5, 3+5, or 1+3
4. practice enough to train yourself to lip those sharp notes down.

The "nodal point" (or whatever you call that) of the 3rd and 5th partials is close together. lots of times if one is relatively close to in tune, the other is out.

hope this helps,

Christian Klein

Follow Ups: