Re: Eb popularity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Ross on March 01, 2000 at 18:47:58:

In Reply to: Eb popularity posted by DaveC on March 01, 2000 at 08:02:11:

I started in high school on BBb and Eb (the Eb was the only "Professional" model I had access to at that time) and since then I've played mostly in Concert bands and such where keys in Flats predominate.

I find that the pattern runs present in Kenneth J. Alford marches (the band I'm in now believes in staying with the British stuff, New Brunswick being the land of the Empire Loyalists and all) feel more natural on an Eb than on a BBb.

The range we see in most of pieces rests equally well on either Eb and BBb, although I find some of the higher notes easier to hit with confidence on the Eb.

Add in the fact that I located a pretty good Eb tuba for much less than I would have expected to pay for a comparable (2 year old) BBb, and the choice started to look easy.

I'd like to add that my preference in 4 valve configurations is the traditional British 3+1 layout (I'd say I love to hug my tuba, but that might start gossip...:^)). I would ask the question of the group:

Why is a 3+1 layout so popular with euphonium players and "less dominant" (I'm feeling polite tonight)among the tuba community - for 4 valve layouts, I mean?

Mike

Follow Ups: