Re: Eb popularity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eve Flatt on March 01, 2000 at 19:30:04:

In Reply to: Eb popularity posted by DaveC on March 01, 2000 at 08:02:11:

There ARE places (as we all know), wonderful, magical, mystical places where E flats have always been (and remain) dominant.

But seriously, a matter of concern I noticed a wee while ago, was that with an increasing American influence worldwide, the F become better known in countries where it had previously been rare or non-existant. This in itself is not the "concern", but...

...the UNFORTUNATE side-effect of that was that the "younger generation" of brass players started to believe that playing an Eb tuba (as an aspiring pro*) was unacceptable... that Eb was only appropriate brass bandies... There was (is) an incredible element of "snobbery" and look-down-the-nose behaviour towards even pros who play Eb (which is the "category" to which I belong). And also, incredible pressure on students to "convert". Those who resisted were (are) often not taken seriousy (by staff and other students).

The main thrust of my post is that I'm very glad to note that the pendulum may have swung back just enough for this ridiculous side-effect to abate. Forums like this allow people to see that there are as many appropriate ways to "tool up" for whatever your gig is, as there are people playing musical instruments.

Eve Flatt

* and EVERY up-and-coming late teen views him/herself as an aspiring pro!

Follow Ups: