Re: Re: plastic HB rotor problems - solved?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on March 05, 2000 at 18:24:44:

In Reply to: Re: plastic HB rotor problems - solved? posted by Tony Clements on March 05, 2000 at 13:59:10:

Simply stated, they instruct the service person to get each rotor to around 100 degrees centigrade and the casings as hot as possible (with a hair dryer or something) and lap with in the usual way with lapping compound.

I'm just personally not interested in heating up a multiple-hundred $ partially-plastic part (which, by its construction canNOT be as sturdy as a solid bronze rotor) of a multiple thou$and $$$$$ tuba and torquing on it. I don't want to accept responsibility, if it seizes or disintegrates (I don't think the owner would be amused). Further, if something works perfectly cold and then hangs up when warm, and the solution is to make it fit looser when cold, I'm not excited about taking responsibility for that, either (especially when I wasn't the manufacturer nor the seller)...

...just expressing the view of ONE repairman thinking about working on and being responsible for OTHER people's stuff. (I'm glad that yours worked out just as they indicated it would.)

Follow Ups: