Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr. Jacobs OTHER tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 06, 2000 at 09:49:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr. Jacobs OTHER tubas posted by Richard on March 04, 2000 at 12:52:13:

When the CSO visited Austin, Texas, in about 1985 or '86, they played Mahler's 5th, and the reaction was exactly the same, "This hall isn't so bad." I didn't say it out loud, because the tuba player for the Austin Symphony, a fine player in his own right, was sitting in front of me.

That was an interesting evening. The semi-trailer truck that was carrying the larger instruments for the CSO on that tour had overturned on I-10 between El Paso and Fort Stockton (read: 400 miles west of Austin). Many instruments were destroyed, and there was concern that the York was damaged. The CSO borrowed instruments from local musicians, and prepared to play the concert with about a half-hour late start. The tuba player was not Mr. Jacobs, but an understudy (anybody know who?) who was warming up on a Miraphone 188, which at the time I thought belonged to Steve Bryant. The word at the time was that if the York wasn't there, Mr. Jacobs would allow the understudy to perform that evening.

But the instruments arrived just as they were beginning to start, and they decided to delay the beginning yet again to assess the damage. During the delay, tympani were replaced, and Mr. Jacobs appeared on stage, warming up on the York. The word at the time was that the York was slightly damaged, but still playable.

I can still recall the sound Mr. Jacobs made in that concert--it was my only opportunity to hear him live. And the shade of red that Mr. Herseth attained was the subject of much comment for weeks afterward. Aftewards, Mr. Bryant turned around, and said "Whew! What sound!" and I heartily agreed.

Follow Ups: