Re: Getzen G-50 opinions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Lowman on March 08, 2000 at 10:56:26:

In Reply to: Getzen G-50 opinions? posted by Tyler on March 08, 2000 at 02:39:34:

I have one of the last CB-50s made (#121) and have played a G-50. It's the same horn. I was looking for a good BBb (a Kalison 5 valve from Tuba Exchange) when I played a newcomer to our band's CB-50. I was immediately converted, largely due the sweet tone and solid feel. It is a heavy horn but as one fellow tubist (a band director) said: "When I first picked a CB-50 up I said, 'What a heavy horn.' THen when I played it I said, 'Who cares.'" I switched to CC fingerings because the sound is better but it's nice to know I could sell it to somewho wanted to rotate the 5th valve and make it an BBb. I bought mine from David Fedderly at Baltimore Brass and I highly encourage you to contact him. He'll send you one (if he has one and he usually gets several a year) on consignment and is totally honest. I guarantee you'll get the best price on a new or used CB-50 (mine was a year old and in mint condition) from David. The horn has only one bad note that I've found. (Actually David told me that but I've confirmed it). It is the G just below the top of the staff.) It's a bit stuffy and you have to put a bit more air into it to get the usualy pure sound and it can be a bit out of tune (I forget which way) reguring a lip adjustment. I've tried alternative fingerings (and you get plenty with 5 valves) but they make the sound worse. So these days I play it open (remember, CC fingerings) and tune with my ear. From what I'd heard about this horn (it's high quality and consistency) I thought I might want one but the proof is in the playing. For around $7,000 or so you can't do much better for an all around tuba. It's fine for large ensemble playing (it will go really loud without breaking up the sound) or smaller groups.

Follow Ups: