Re: OK , you "double tuba" freaks...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on March 11, 2000 at 14:00:19:

In Reply to: OK , you "double tuba" freaks... posted by Joe S. on March 11, 2000 at 01:19:51:

I asked a french horn friend of mine about the double horn stuff. She seemed intrigued that we hadn't come up with one yet. When I explained )to the best of my ability) the intonation problems, she said "Sure, we have a quite a few bad notes, too. You just have to know which side of the horn to play that note on, and always play it there."

So, here is my (probably completely off-the-mark) solution. Please bear with me, as you are seeing it as I think of it. Using Sam's horn as a point of departure:
The 4th valve is the switch valve, so put that on the left hand side of the horn (a rotor to be depressed by the left thumb) and add another valve to functon as a 4th valve independent of the F side of the horn. You now have a fully functional 5 valve CC, with a switch valve to F (also assuming that the right thumb is a long whole step). Now in the left hand, add a SHORT 1/2 step, a LONG 1/2 step, a short step and 1/2, and a long step and 1/2 valves. You now have 10 valves, but some combination has got to play all of the notes in tune, since you could finger each note a number of different ways. Throw in some alternate tuning slides, and we're talking some real high-tech playin' here!

Joe, I'll leave making it sound good and the physics of THAT in your capable hands. ;^)

'Course, I've always wondered how those reed people think in two hands, anyway. This horn would confuse me but good. :-\

Follow Ups: