future eBay offerings, and Salutations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on March 12, 2000 at 08:21:58:

I am just finishing up a (very minor) cosmetic restoration job on my turn-of-the-century Buescher four piston (3+1) euphonium, which I have owned for quite some time.

Years ago, after doing the mechanical part of the restoration, I used it in a "period" band that performed Sousa marches, old "funky" transcriptions of opera arias, etc. I haven't performed with that group in years, and I have decided to sell this euphonium.

It is equipped with factory "piggyback" high-pitch/low-pitch removable main tuning slide over-sleeves, and the original case, which is in remarkably-good shape, considering the century of age. The mouthpiece receiver is the "euphonium"-intermediate (like today's pro-models) shank size, and to make sure that I won't have any trouble having my reserve met on eBay, I will include a very rare mouthpiece in exquisite condition (with the correct shank), which is a VERY old Vincent Bach - NEW YORK (Bronx) - mouthpiece which is so old as to pre-date the offering of various size models: The only designations on the mouthpiece are "Vincent Bach - New York" and "t.b." The valveset bore of the euphonium is very large by turn-of-the-century standards, and is equivalent to what is commonly used, today.

I will also be putting my 4-piston King Eb helicon up on eBay. I just don't play it enough, anymore. Before I owned it, it was all "un-dented" by someone else. They did not do quite as good a job as I would have, but they DID do a VERY FINE job. I, however, removed the valveset from it and totally rebuilt the pistons and the lower mouthpipe. The gooseneck that I received with it did not play this helicon up to A=440, and really was "suspect", as far as origin was concerned. In my "drawer-o'-junk", fortunately I had a SUPER-short factory King gooseneck which fits perfectly and plays the instrument at A=440. The future owner of this instrument will be very proud of it and will enjoy playing it very much, as it performs like a very fine "concert" Eb tuba. It has (factory) military engraving on it, and was originally designated for the U.nited S.tates Q.uarter M.aster C.orps.

I am not a "collector" of instruments, and when I discover that the bottom of my clothes closet is getting "filled up" with stuff that I am not actually playing very much anymore, I tend to sell it off, regardless of how "neat" or "rare" or "whatever". The King 4-piston Eb helicon will probably be listed on eBay first, and the 3+1 Buescher euphonium will probably follow, a week or two later. Please watch for and bid on these items, if you are interested. (I may also later offer my "perfect condition" Holton bass trumpet on eBay, if the other auctions go well.) Currently, my old Martin "Committee Model" trumpet is listed which, to say the least is in magnificent shape, if any of you have trumpet-playing friends who are Miles Davis "freaks".

I would like to thank Mr. Chisham for all of the time that he devotes to this site, and for allowing me to make so many wonderful friends via this "strange new" means of communication. If this happens to be my last post before the temporary shut-down, I wish all of you the very best until we meet again, this summer!

Follow Ups: