Re: Re: I need a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on March 13, 2000 at 01:05:02:

In Reply to: Re: I need a tuba posted by Santos on March 12, 2000 at 17:30:35:

Absolutely, these guys know what they're talking about. A decent 3-valve BBb tuba is going to cost you $700 or more, and that's if it's really banged up bad; and long term you'll want something with four valves, which (amazingly) doubles the price.

One possible thing to consider is letting go of the BBb requirement and REALLY looking hard for an Eb sousaphone or a small OLD Eb tuba (again, 3 valves). It may not be a horn you'll want to perform a lot on, but it is at least something to keep the chops going while you save and learn what you want, and unless you drop it off a cliff or something it won't lose any value. Particularly look for antique dealers, not music dealers, because the antique dealers don't know what they've got. I recently bought an Eb sousaphone in pretty decent shape AND a marching (bell-front) mellophone from an antique dealer for $150.00. And I'm not a particularly good bargainer.

In the long run, though, remember that if you're going to get (or stay) good, you will spend countless hours playing your horn; put in some hours earning the money to pay for a decent horn.

Follow Ups: