Re: "Gravity" opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rich Armandi on March 13, 2000 at 11:18:59:

In Reply to: "Gravity" opinions posted by MG on March 12, 2000 at 21:09:21:

In regards to your thoughts whether the F tuba < challenges in establishing our instrument in this genre (namely, its
increased length of tubing, and low pitch, both of which pose challenges in projecting the sound, blending with a rhythm section containing a string bass, and playing
faster passages clearly)>> I would maintain that the challenge is to make beautiful MUSIC, regardless of the instrument used. That said, if you've ever tried to play a Jazz solo on the tuba, with a standard piano, bass, drums rhythm section, you'ld probably find that you'ld HAVE to play in the mid to upper register most of the time just to be heard clearly and not create mud, which is what happens when you play in the string bass's register. Musically its difficult, if not impossible, to make it work. As far as the choice of instrument, it's damn hard to play bebop and/or beyond on ANY Tuba, much less a BAT, which I believe compounds the clarity/resonance/balance/projection etc. issues that arise when playing with a Jazz combo. A BAT works fine if you are the sole bass instrument, as in a Dixieland setting. Most Jazz Tubists, would, I believe, when working with a rhythm section, would opt for a smaller instrument (I know I would!!).
It IS an interesting problem, though, one I think only Tubists (and Bassists) ponder. The rest just want to hear solos from the tenor range on up!!
Just my .02
Rich Armandi

Follow Ups: