Re: Musica CC's?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by craig on March 13, 2000 at 13:27:43:

In Reply to: Musica CC's? posted by Aaron on March 11, 2000 at 23:03:09:

I play a Musica BBb which I bought last year from Dillons. They are a UMI product, but produced in limited quantity. When I bought mine I was told that it was actually made by Cervany, but I think that UMI probably uses different sources to make them depending on the year and model. In order to find one like the one you heard you would need to know the age and model number.

But, like any other tubas, the most important thing is to find one which sounds good when you play it. How it sounds in someone else's hands is irrelevant. If you are looking for a CC tuba you should decide what basic characteristics you are looking for, i.e. number of valves, size - 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, rotary/piston, etc. and your budget, then check out Dillons, the Tuba Exchange, The Woodwind and the Brasswind, Baltimore Brass, and other music stores to see what they have which meet your requirements.

Then you should go and play as many as possible in your price range. There are too many good tuba manufacturers to just pick one based on one performance. And even different samples of the same model from the same company could have very different playing characteristics.

(Sorry if this is too long winded and preachy, but I am trying to help)

Follow Ups: