Re: Re: Re: solo philosophy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Caudron on March 13, 2000 at 19:25:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: solo philosophy posted by Jay Bertolet on March 13, 2000 at 09:16:22:

I agree with you that the list is unrealistic for high schoolers. Not because they can't handle it, but because of the commitment it takes. This is the same kind of crap forced on kids in sports these days. They have to focus too much in one area when they are too young to decide what they want to do. It was hard enough when I was in high school in the late sixties to explore multiple areas. These days it's nearly impossible.

How many students spend endless hours to learn these works only to find out music isn't their thing? They need time to explore everything when they're young. They need the experiences to make the right life choices when the time comes. Requiring them to do killer music requires too much time spent on one subject.

I can understand a studio/school's desire to take only the best and brightest but they should also understand what's best for the student. It's time we all stop trying to make teenagers be like professional whatevers and let them grow and mature in all areas.

Follow Ups: