Re: Re: Re: Re: last minute questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Neil M. on March 13, 2000 at 19:35:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: last minute questions posted by Brian Frederiksen on March 13, 2000 at 18:13:33:

Biology lesson, just a quickie.

You brwathe air in that is approx 21% O2 (oxygen) rich, and exhale air that is roughly 17%. As much as we'd like to think otherwise, our bodies are not very efficient.

Another common myth is that we breathe when our brain tells our body it needs oxygen. Quite the opposite, we breathe when our bodies contain TOO MUCH CO2 (carbon dioxide) Hyperventilation occurs when the body accumulates O2 in the lungs (often due to rapid, shallow breathing) This is dangerous because of the low concentration of CO2. Hyperventilation will eventually cause the brain to tell our bodies to stop breathing (bad thing! )

The treatment for this condition used to be breathing from a paper bag or something similar. This, however is ineffective due to the o2 rich air we exhale. The standard treatment today for hypervent. is deep slow breaths and being calm.

Speaking in terms of biology, it would not make sense to concentrate on sucking air back out of the horn to counteract the process.

Speaking as a tuba player....If you expend your air suppply very quickly and breathe really often (i.e., breathing inbetween every quarter note in an oom pah march part) you could hyperventilate. Perhaps your lips are too far a part in your embouchure to allow you to control your airflow as much as you'd like. (just an idea)

With regards to your face tingling.....ever lifted weights? Know that tingly feeling you get when you finish your last rep of a hard set....your cheek muscles would do the same after a hard workout (playing) as your arms or legs would.

Well, that's my 2 cents...The hyperventilation stuff (speaking as a lifeguard/ first aid instructor) is fact...the tuba stuff is my best guess.

ciao and happy breathing, it's good for your health,

Neil

Follow Ups: