Re: Re: Re: Euphonium Players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by PJ on March 01, 2001 at 19:09:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Euphonium Players posted by Fritz Friesen on March 01, 2001 at 16:40:13:

Thanks man, I appreciate you defending me. Don't worry about it though, I usually just let those people pass by. I have been playing euphonium since the 7th grade. A former trumpet player, I got off before i had the chance to develop and ego. LOL I went through highschool playing on a Yamaha 321 and a Shilki 51 D mouthpiece. Not a bad combination really, for highschool. But I knew I needed a pro horn for college. So I tried out many different horns. I really felt the most comfortable with the Yamaha 642. It was very similar to the 321, had good valve response, and outstanding intonation. These were areas that I really cared about, so that's why I bought it. And I love the thing. I used to play on the Denis Wick SM4, however I developed some endurance and control problems which I believed were the fault of the mouthpiece, as well my practicing habits. The problem I discovered was that the Wick is designed with a very large cup diameter, but a very shallow cup depth. This made it very hard to grab on to notes making it difficult control. I am now playing on the Brian Bowman BB1 which is working out a lot better for me. My euphonium playing never really had shown great talent until my junior year in HS. I had taken lessons from Brian Meixner for three years, sophomore to senior year, and he really helped to fix a lot of my bad habits. I was very shocked my Senior Year when I actually made Ky All-State band 4th chair. I didn't really think I was that good, and deserved that spot, though many people did. (Hence, I am not a very egotistical person, usually I'm pretty modest) Now, I got to a school that lacks euphonium support. I am principal of only five, which I don't brag about. Its hard to brag when you have the highest spot in your section, but feel you have no right being there. I even doubted my professor Mr. John R. Jones Jr. when he recommended me trying out for the Falcone Artist Division. I remember specifically telling him that I didn't think that I had any chance and suggested that it was for really "good" euphonium players. He then told me that I was a really good euphonium player too. It was that day that made me realize that for the first time I was confident I had someone outside my family, who really believed in me. Ever since that I have worked my ass off spending about 5 hours a day in the practice room. I mentioned early that I am working on Napoli. That was originally my choice of music, however I later doubted it could be done. But when Mr. Jones told me he had never had anyone fail at that piece, and he knew I could have it ready by the end of the semester, I knew it must be true. So that is why I am working so hard on it. I believe I can do it, because someone else does. Well, I guess the whole point of this reflection is to point out that I am willing to work, if others believe in me. And I don't like letting people down. Thank you for listening, hope I didn't put anyone to sleep. Thank you, and keep playing!

Follow Ups: