Re: Offbeat problems!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on March 03, 2001 at 10:15:12:

In Reply to: Offbeat problems!! posted by David M. on March 02, 2001 at 21:41:58:

I've found it has helped me to be as "still" as possible. Any attempt (for me) to externalize time just winds up getting in the way (read: foot-tapping, heel-tapping, insert your favorite body part here). What also helps is to stop the note with the tongue very precisly on the beat of the rest which almost acts as an internal metronome with me. This can also be done with the depression/release of your valves.

It helps me to internalize the tempo. When I taught public school, I tried to break my students' habit of tapping their foot. Not only is it undesireable in performance where the audience's sightline is often directly pointing at the feet, it makes an awful ruckus on hardwood floors, and at any rate, most students can't do this in time and concentrate on their playing. It begins to look like the prelude to My Three Sons (ooops, dated myself!)

Keep the clock ticking in your head, hear the "internal metronome" very aggresively but then relax.

Hope I've added to your already constructive advice.

Follow Ups: