Re: Re: Juilliard Auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on March 04, 2001 at 08:57:13:

In Reply to: Re: Juilliard Auditions posted by Rod Mathews on March 04, 2001 at 00:38:49:

To help fill in the ??? for 88-89, Ed Diefus (sp?) was a freshman that year. He went on to Curtis the next year. There were a total of four college tuba students that year, I forget who the fourth was. I was there as Don Harry's last pre-college student and sometimes shared Ed's locker.

It is true that Warren takes the best player. Period. I auditioned that year and didn't make it. Being a typically distraught seventeen year old, I later asked Warren why. He very straightforwardly told me that the the person who got in played better. Hard to argue with that.

Interesting to note: Of all the precollege woodwind and brass players, only one made it into what we called the 'upper' school. Another made it into Curtis, two (myself and another) into Manhattan, and the rest all over the country. It is very hard (but not impossible) for a seventeen or eighteen year old to get in, when you consider that musicians of all ages and experience levels from all over the world want to get into that school.

Follow Ups: